Interested in exploring jobs with career potential and getting paid in the process? Gorge Works offers access to multiple paid work experience opportunities for the Summer of 2018 in the Columbia Gorge through one convenient application process.
Gorge Works has three objectives:
- To help businesses identify candidates for skilled employment;
- To provide internship opportunities allowing for the exploration of local skilled employment opportunities;
- To promote the Columbia Gorge as an excellent place to live and work.
We believe this program can provide life-changing opportunities for people to try out career options, show their abilities to potential employers and connect with diverse training options, whether they are new high school graduates or are already on the job and looking to improve their options.
Supply and Demand
Filling skilled jobs, particularly in technology and manufacturing industries, is a growing challenge in the United States, where skills gaps, retirements and other factors contribute to unfilled job vacancies.
The situation is no different in the Columbia River Gorge where dozens of skilled, well-paying jobs with benefits remain unfilled while workers languish in unskilled, minimum-wage or part-time jobs with no benefits.
Nine Host Site employers have partnered with Gorge Works to offer a dozen paid summer work experiences in 2018. Most of the opportunities in the first year focus on jobs generally described as “entry level technicians,” which covers a wide range of jobs and skill requirements. We also have a handful other opportunities that focus on professional services such as accounting, community relations and human resources, among others.
In addition to the host businesses, several other major employers are serving on our steering committee, and a number of local organizations have agreed to serve in supporting roles, including the Port of The Dalles, Columbia Gorge Community College, WorksourceOregon, The Dalles Area Chamber of Commerce and others.
Where To Find Us
Port of The Dalles
3636 Klindt Drive
The Dalles, Oregon 97058
Weekdays, 8:30 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m.
- AAA Metal Fabrication
- Cloud Cap/UTC Technology
- Columbia Gorge Community College
- Griffith Motors
- Innovative Composites Engineering
- Mid-Columbia Economic Development District
- Mid-Columbia Medical Center
- Mid-Columbia Producers
- Mid-Columbia Fire & Rescue
- Port of The Dalles
- SDS Lumber Co.
- The Dalles Area Chamber of Commerce
- Urness Motors
- Columbia Gorge Food Bank is HIRING!January 8, 2018 - 5:00 pm
- The Interview: Gorge Works on Y102/KLCKJanuary 4, 2018 - 9:18 am
Gorge Works visited this week with News Director Rodger Nichols of KLCK/Y102 about the great career options in the Gorge and the chance to check them out them through paid work experiences this coming summer. We’re in the middle of the application period now and are offering some great opportunities. Check out the interview here and […]
- Cancer Cure Summer Internship AvailableJanuary 3, 2018 - 3:52 pm